Archive >> 2013
Sept 14, 2014
I had the pleasure to attend The Asian Festival this past Sunday. There were wonderful performances by performers far and near. I enjoyed getting to each culture a little more by watching the different dances and shows. The Vietfest court plans to attend Miss. Vietnam DC at Eden Center this Saturday at 6 to support the beautiful ladies competitions. Hope to everyone there! Xoxo
The Miss VietFest Pageant wants your confidence, intelligence, beauty, and love of the Vietnamese culture to shine through in our next competition! To become the next shining queen, simply fill out the form below, send a head shot photo (neck up) to email@example.com, and use PayPal to pay the $35 registration fee or send a check (payable to NOVAL-DC) to 4937 Andrea Ave, Annandale, VA 22003. Please be sure to read the terms and agreement before submitting your application.
We look forward to meeting you and seeing you shine on stage!
Prizes & Honors (subject to change):
Miss VietFest Queen:
· $1,500 cash prize
· Professional Photography Package by Glamour Photo Studio
· $2,500 life insurance policy from American Income Life Insurance
· Prizes from Malkhia Relations, LLC
o 7 week modeling and acting package valued at $1200
o 1 Free photo shoot to be scheduled in September for portfolio
o 2 hours free pageant coaching for future pageant competitions
o 20% off pageant services for future pageant competitions including makeup, styling, coaching, shopping
VietFest 1st Princess:
· $800 cash prize
VietFest 2nd Princess:
· $600 cash prize
Miss Photogenic: Professional Photography Package
The Miss VietFest Experience for All Contestants:
· Professional Head Shot and Body Shot provided by Glamour Photo Studio
· Modeling and Pageant coaching session prior to competition provided by:
o 2014 Ms. Maryland United States
o 2014 Ms. Wyoming United States and Miss VietFest Director
o 2012 and 2013 Miss VietFest titleholders
· Lessons and group session for calming/meditation techniques provided by our Wellness and Beauty Coach
· Make-up advice and consultation from our Wellness and Beauty Coach
· Hair and Make-up on the day of competition
· Contestant Sash and personal contestant number pin
· Flowers on the day of competition because we believe you are beautiful and winners in our eyes
· 40% off discounted rate to start college savings program from American Income Life
· Mental and emotional support
· A safe environment for you to ask questions and for 1-on-1 attention
· An experience of a lifetime
To register as a pageant contestant, please complete the following steps as described below:
- Fill out the Miss VietFest 2014 Application Form.
- Send a head shot photo (neck up) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the PayPal button below to pay the $35 registration fee. OR send a check payable to “NOVAL-DC” to 4937 Andrea Ave, Annandale, VA 22003.
When and where is the 2014 Miss VietFest Scholarship Pageant?
The 2014 Miss VietFest Pageant will take place on August 17th, 2013 at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton, Virginia.
When is the pageant deadline and how do I apply?
The 2013 Miss VietFest application deadline is June 30th, 2013. You can apply on the “Application” tab of www.vietfest.com/pageant
What is new and exciting in the 2014 Miss VietFest competition?
The Miss VietFest team is excited to add a talent portion to the Miss VietFest competition! We accept all types of talents, such as singing, dancing, martial arts demonstration, poetry recitation, and more. Talent will be judged by the contestant’s enthusiasm, contestant’s display of confidence, and audience engagement.
The competition areas are now evening gown presentation, Vietnamese proverb, talent, ao dai presentation, and on-stage question. On-stage question will be reserved for the top 5 finalist.
Why should I compete in Miss VietFest?
- Gain new friendships through the competition. One of the many wonderful things about the Miss VietFest Pageant is the strong bonds forged during practices, meetings, and on the day of the pageant. We encourage camaraderie and helping each other to improve throughout the Miss VietFest Pageant experience. Most importantly, we encourage sisterhood and lifelong friendship.
- Reconnect with the Vietnamese culture. Through the Vietnamese Proverb competition, contestants must research a Vietnamese proverb and reflect on why the proverb is meaningful to them. We encourage contestants to discuss with family and friends about the proverb and our culture
- Improve your public speaking and interviewing skills. Strong communication skills are needed in any field of work, not just in pageantry. We provide a public speaking workshop and practices so you will feel confident when you’re holding the microphone on stage. If you can nail a pageant interview and on stage question, you can nail any job interview.
- Gain networking opportunities with NOVAL-DC partners. Knowing the right people and having the right connections are essential to success. By joining the Miss VietFest Pageant, you are joining the NOVAL-DC family. You will have opportunities to connect with our community and professional partners.
- Gain modeling experience. As a contestant, you have the opportunity to partake in our contestant photo shoot and contestant video. We provide workshops on how to walk, pose, and model in ao dai and evening gown.
- Gain pageant experience. We encourage all contestants to continue onto pageantry and grow from the Miss VietFest Pageant experience. The 2014 Miss VietFest Pageant Director, Elizabeth Thaihuong Nguyen, is a former Miss VietFest titleholder and a current Ms. Northern Virginia United States titleholder. She has competed in 3 different pageant systems. With knowledge from both Vietnamese pageants and American pageant system, the Miss VietFest Pageant team will provide workshops on how to prepare and compete in other systems.
- Be a role model. All Miss VietFest Pageant contestants are ambassadors of the Vietnamese community. As a contestant, you are encouraging other young women and girls to take risks, follow their dreams and aspiration, and to grow and learn from their experience. We are proud of all our Miss VietFest contestants (past and current) and we will continue to support your endeavors before, during, and after the pageant.
Is there a registration fee and what does the fee cover?
Yes, the non-refundable registration fee for the Miss VietFest Pageant is $35 and is payable through PayPal. The entry fee can be paid by you, sponsors, family, or friends. The registration fee helps fund the pageant production.
Do I need to live in a certain area to compete?
No. The Miss VietFest Pageant is open to all Vietnamese-American women living in the United States. Note that all participants must be able to make mandatory meet-ups and be present for the pageant. Each participant is responsible for her travel and lodging.
Please note that the Miss VietFest Pageant, pageant meet-ups, and royal court appearances will be held in the DC-metropolitan area (VA, MD, and DC). Titleholders are ultimately responsible for appearances near their location. For example, if you reside in southern Virginia, as a titleholder, you should seek out events to make appearances to with a crown and/or sash.
What are the requirements?
Miss VietFest contestants must be between the ages of 18 and 28 at the time of the competition. Contestants must be at least 50% of Asian descent and 25% Vietnamese. Contestants may not be married or pregnant. They must not have ever been married, had a marriage annulled nor given birth to, or parented a child. The titleholders are required to remain non-married throughout their reign.
Will mandatory meetings before the pageant take up much of my time? When do they take place?
There are few mandatory meetings such as the initial meet & greet, learning stage formation, and rehearsal. Catwalk and posing practices are mostly optional. Most mandatory meetings will take place on Sundays around the afternoon. As with most life events and commitments, the more time you put into the process, the more you will get out of it.
Will the Miss VietFest Team help me feel comfortable on stage?
YES! We understand that not everyone has stage experience. We will reserve time to help you feel and look confident on stage through your walk and posing. The Miss VietFest Pageant team is here to assist you every step of the way. Our team consists of current VietFest titleholders and past VietFest titleholders. The 2014 Miss VietFest Pageant Director is the current Ms. Northern Virginia United States titleholder.
Do I have to speak Vietnamese to compete?
No. There is no preference if you speak Vietnamese or English during the competition. We do ask during the proverb section of the competition, you say your Vietnamese proverb in Vietnamese, but then you may explain your proverb in either Vietnamese or English. Your scores will not be affected by the language you speak during the Proverb or Q&A section. Your score will be based on how well you answered the question, how confident you were in your answer, and if your answer was well-reasoned.
Is there a physical requirement (height & weight)?
No, there is no required height or weight requirement. We believe everyone is beautiful in their own unique way. “Beauty” is not a judging criterion. We look for confidence, professionalism, elegance, individuality, and intelligence.
What wardrobe items do I need?
Each contestant should have an ao dai (Vietnamese traditional dress) and floor-length evening gown for the competition.
What if I do not have an ao dai or evening gown? Do I need to buy everything new?
Each participant is ultimately responsible for her own ao dai or evening gown for the competition. However, the pageant team understands that these clothing items will not always be easily available to everyone. It is a personal choice if you want to buy new outfits for the pageant but it is NOT required for you to buy anything new. If you do not have an ao dai or evening gown, we encourage you to borrow ao dais and evening gowns from friends or family or reuse an existing ao dai or prom dress. We highly recommend that each contestant dry clean each borrowed outfit as a courtesy to their lender.
The Miss VietFest pageant team will be available to answer your questions regarding outfits. We may assist in obtaining borrowed outfits but it is not guaranteed we will be able to lend you an outfit.
Remember, the judges will be looking at the confident woman wearing the outfit, not the outfit itself. Choose the dress you feel most confident in.
Are tattoos and body piercings allowed?
Tattoos and piercing are a statement of your individuality, and to this point we have not prohibited anyone from entering the pageant because of them. Judges are not told to look upon someone negatively because of tattoos or piercing, but judging is a subjective process done by each individual differently.
Should you feel that your tattoo might be offensive, you may want to make sure it is covered by your gown, ao dai, or body makeup. If you are uncomfortable with your naval piercing, you may want to make sure your wardrobe covers it, replace it with something smaller and less noticeable or remove it completely for pageant weekend.
I competed previously in the Miss VietFest competition. May I compete more than once?
Yes. We welcome all previous contestants to join the pageant again as long as they do not hold a previous or current Miss VietFest or royal court title. We are big supporters for those who do not give up on their dreams and goals.
Do I need to have any previous pageant experience to compete in the Miss VietFest Pageant?
No experience necessary! Most of our participants have never competed before. It takes confidence, elegance, poise, personality, and intelligence to compete in a pageant, not experience. The Miss VietFest team is committed that all contestants learn and develop personally and professionally throughout the competition.
What is expected of me if I win a Miss VietFest or Royal Court title?
The Miss VietFest Royal Court is the voice and image of NOVAL-DC and the bright Vietnamese community for a term of 1 year. Each titleholder is expected to act with the highest standards of professionalism. They will be responsible for participating in local Vietnamese community/charity events, do radio/television interviews, attend seminars, and inspire other young Vietnamese women to take initiatives in their goals. Each titleholder has a number of appearances to fulfill during their reign. The Pageant team understands school, work, and family is a first priority and will coordinate with your schedule when arranging all pageant appearances/events.
Still have a question regarding the Miss VietFest Pageant? Please contact email@example.com
About the Miss VietFest Pageant Organization
The Miss VietFest Pageant strives to be much more than a beauty contest. The ultimate goal of of Miss VietFest is to be a positive pageant that empowers young, confident, intelligent Vietnamese women. What makes the VietFest Pageant unique is our equal focus on community work, scholarship, culture preservation, and leadership. The Miss VietFest Pageant strives to give young women the essential tools to be strong role models by providing a network of local community leaders. We also provide opportunities for participants to improve professionalism and interpersonal skills through our workshops and giving back to the community. Most importantly, the Miss VietFest Pageant is a stepping-stone for future Vietnamese-Americans who aspire to grow personally and to use their experiences to empower the Vietnamese community.
About the Competition
The Miss VietFest Pageant competition consists of 4 parts: Evening Gown Showcase, Vietnamese Proverb 30 second speech, Ao Dai Showcase, and Top 5 Q&A. Each contestant will be encouraged to show off their grace and poise through their confident catwalks and poses in both a long evening gown and ao dai. The Vietnamese Proverb speech will give the contestants an opportunity to learn about their culture by choosing a meaningful Vietnamese proverb and explaining why the proverb they chose is special to them. The Q&A portion will give each contestant a chance to voice to the community who they are and what they believe in. Throughout the competition, the contestants are encouraged to be confident, build new friendships, and most importantly, have fun with this once in a life time experience!
Thank you to our 2014 Miss VietFest Sponsors
We would like to thank our Miss VietFest sponsors. Thank you for believing in our mission to empower young Vietnamese women and for contributing to the Vietnamese community!
Ngoc Anh Vi Nguyen
Learn more about Miss Ngoc Anh Vi Nguyen here!
Ngoc Qui Duong
Learn more about Miss Ngoc Qui Duong here!
Lizzi Van Thy Nguyen
Learn more about Miss Lizzi Van Thy Nguyen here!
Jade Phuong Tran
Learn more about Miss Jade Phuong Tran here!
Miss Ngoc Hoa Bui
Learn more about Miss Ngoc Hoa Bui here!
Miss Ngoc Hue Vo
Learn more about Miss Ngoc Hue Vo here!
Miss Thaihuong Nguyen
Learn more about Miss Thaihuong Nguyen here!
Miss Alex Linh Vu
Learn more about Miss Alex Linh Vu here!
Miss VietFest is a prestigious Vietnamese American Cultural & Scholastic Pageant hosted by NOVAL. Our primary focus is to elevate the Vietnamese American female as a national symbol of beauty and pride captured internally and externally through her poise, grace, intellectual strength, and individuality. Hosted annually at the largest Vietnamese Festival in the East Coast, the MVF pageant serves to promote Vietnamese culture through language, music, dance, and the Vietnamese traditional dress, the áo dài.
MVF 2013 will be hosted by NOVAL at the 2nd annual Vietnamese Festival at Sears Parking lots at Landmark Mall on Sunday, August 25th at 3pm.
NVR interview: The Miss VietFest Pageant Experience and Application with 2012 Royal Court
NVR interview: Introduction to Miss VietFest Pageant with Pageant Director